[C320-list] Servicing the anchor windlass

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 30 13:05:33 PST 2010

Perhaps you refer to one of my messages. Actually, it is not a bulkhead, per
se, but a panel at the fwd end of the V-berth.  Above and below the shelf in
the V-berth there are plywood panels.  You only need to remove the lower
panel to access the windlass.  Just remove maybe 6 screws along the sides.
You may need to pry the panel out. Try using a bent coat hanger or such to
get behind the edge.

I removed the shelf as well; but, this required that I remove a lot of other
pieces as well to get it to slide out.  It's a real pain, so if you don't
need to do it, don't bother.

Once you have the panel out, you can stick you head in the space and see the
windlass. If there is a thin flexible sheet of fiberglass in your way, just
cut off enough to get in far enough to remove the wires from the windlass.
After the four mounting bolts are removed inside the anchor locker, from
below you can move the unit to stbd and remove it. It's really quite easy.

To remove the unit, first use a knife or thin edge to pop the plastic cap on
the top of the drum. Then unscrew the bolt in the center under the cap. The
drum should pull off. If it hasen't been removed in years, the grease may be
dried and you will have to use a puller to get it off. Once the drum is off,
you'll find 4 bolts underneath. Remove those four bolts, and the unit can be
removed from below.  Note that the mounting ring is held in-place by 4 more
bolts accessed only from inside. These do not need to be removed.

To change the oil, leave the unit in a warm (room temp) place so the oil
will flow. The oil is removed by unscrewing the plastic sight cap that is
screwed on.  I removed about 2oz of old oil, and replaced with 3oz of #90
lube oil (same as outboard lower unit oil.)

If this is the first time you've done this, it's a good idea to remove all
the wires and the foot switch too, in order to thoroughly clean all the
connections. The motor draws up to 70 or so amps and good connections are
necessary.

If you reply off-list, I'll send you some photos once I get over to the boat
again in the next couple of weeks.

(Chris B. - once I get some useful photos, I'll do an article for
Mainsheet.)

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr de Mar"