[C320-list] Dodger and Bimini Rub

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Tue Jan 19 05:15:15 PST 2010

None of the choices are very good.

1.  Raising the lower blocks can't change the angle much unless you
raise the blocks a lot, and the shackles that you use to raise the block
would have to be very strong.  You also risk having a lot of metal
banging around during jibes.

2.  Rebuilding the dodger is expensive but does not involve any
re-engineering of the highly loaded boom system.  You might end up with
not enough room to swing a winch handle on the halyard winches, which is
the situation on my boat.  And to the extent that you change the angle
to the aft block it will be by reducing the turn angle at that block,
which will in turn require more mainsheet load for a given amount of
downward force on the boom.

3.  Moving the aft block on the boom has potential negative effects on
structural integrity:  It reduces mechanical advantage a little
requiring slightly more mainsheet tension.  More importantly, it
involves having additional holes in a very highly loaded part of the
boom, possibly leading to stress fractures and failure.  And by moving
the boom blocks closer together it will further concentrate the stress
on the boom, which already is pretty concentrated given our mid-boom
sheeting arrangement.  I would consult a rigger before doing this.  I
assume you will want stainless rivets, and will need to take proper
precautions against galvanic corrosion where these are mounted in the
aluminum boom.

4.  A new traveller in the same location can't change things much.  I
wouldn't go down this route unless you are certain that the traveller
will be enough further forward of the existing one to solve the problem.

5.  Are you absolutely certain that the problem is not due to the way
you are sailing the boat?  You might want to post a picture showing the
setup of mainsheet and traveller in a situation where you are having the
problem.  Have you considered adjusting the traveller / mainsheet / vang
combination in order to see if you can make the problem go away?  You
might move the traveller a bit more to weather or a bit less to weather
and/or adjust mainsheet and vang tension, for example, to change the
angle of the sheet as it rises to the boom.  If the sheet is essentially
straight up and down when the problem occurs I would try easing the
sheet and moving the traveller further to weather, for example.

There are a lot of 320's on the Chesapeake.  I suggest you take careful
measurements of your boat and then find other owners to compare notes.
Make sure it's the boat and not the way you are sailing it before you
change anything.  Apologies in advance if you've done this already.

Scott

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653