[C320-list] AC reversed polarity light

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Jul 5 19:38:50 PDT 2010

On our recent cruise we found that the reverse polarity light came on
when we tested the AC hookup in 2 different marinas, and then again back
on our home pier.  Since there was no indication of improper wiring at
any of these locations, and since we had no trouble at the home pier at
the start of the trip, I assume that the problem is somewhere in my boat
or power cord.  The power cord passes a simple end to end continuity
check on each of the three conductors, and there is no sign of any
shorts.  Does anyone have suggestions on what to look for next?  It's
occurred to me that perhaps I need to replace the shore power connector
on the transom.  It looks OK, but after 11 years, maybe the weather has
taken its toll.

My recollection is that faults other than reverse polarity can cause
these kinds of symptoms but I do not remember the details.

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653