[C320-list] KM2 Problems

Karl Mielenhausen _/) C320 at suddenlink.net
Sat Jul 10 03:19:08 PDT 2010

Fellow Owners:

I am in the process of authoring an article about shifting difficulties
with the KM2 transmission on the Yanmar 3GM engine. The intent is to
publish same in the November Mainsheet as well as on our association
website. Fortunately, I have not had the problem so my information is
largely based upon a friend's experience with the same engine on his
Hunter 34.

I would like to hear of the experiences that any of you might have had
with this problem, incorporate them into my article, and have you critique
what I write.

Specifically, I'm interested in:
What were your symptoms?
Did you attempt shift cable lubrication, adjustment, and/or replacement?
Did you need transmission repair (and what components were replaced)?
What was the specific damage (ex. cone scoring)
Did you receive any advice from your mechanic on probable cause of the
hard shifting problem or transmission damage?

My friend had to have his drive cone replaced. What he has found out is
that this is not that uncommon a problem, can happen at relatively low
hours (800-1200), and worse yet, has no apparent owner-induced cause.
He did learn that Mack Boring (who did his work) is now recommending
AGAINST using multiweight oil in the KM2 transmission, saying to go with
the straight 30w (as my manual states). Torrensen stills recommends using
the same oil as the engine.
Mack Boring also said to always sail with the transmission in neutral.
This also is a departure from what we were always told (ie. put
transmission in reverse) and was the subject of a poorly publicized 2008
service bulletin...
http://www.catalina320.com/filemgmt_data/files/MSA08-003.pdf

Your experiences are needed. Please contact me back-channel. Thanks....

Karl Mielenhausen
Catalina 320 Hull 690