[C320-list] Rigging for 30+knts

Pat Ireland cherie320 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 12:35:26 PDT 2010

All

What sail configuration do you carry for wind over 30 knts?

A double reefed main and a 110 jib are a bit much to control and are
impossible when the gusts approach 40knts.   Rolling in the jib to about 90%
helps, but the weather helm is so heavy that additional reduction of the
main seems appropriate.

The second reef point brings the head down below the top spreader.  Is
adding a third reef viable?  Should we be furling the main and using only a
headsail?  Or is it engine only time?  My understanding is that using a spar
to support the sail area in a blow is best, but the balance does not appear
to allow that approach.

Your experience and suggestions are appreciated.  Right now, we run away and
go home.   That's just no fun at all.

Pat, 801