[C320-list] AC reversed polarity light

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Wed Jul 7 06:36:31 PDT 2010

Thanks Irv.  I suppose I should keep one of those on board.

I know that the problem is not on the dock.  I have this problem at all
dockside outlets now, including ones that work fine for other people and
worked fine for me not long ago.  It's clearly something between the
dockside outlet and the AC panel on the boat.  I'm looking for some way
to track the specific faulty part or connection.

To you electrical experts out there:  Looking at the AC wiring diagram,
the reverse polarity light appears to be wired to detect a voltage
present between the neutral (white wire) input side of the main AC
breaker on the panel and the AC ground bus bar behind the panel.  What
failure of my wiring would cause a voltage to appear there consistently?
  It isn't clear to me why an open circuit on either neutral or ground
would cause either one to show up as "hot", which is what you would
expect with an actual polarity reversal.

I have no inverter, and the factory stock AC installation.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653

--
Scott Thompson