[C320-list] plans for screens

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 7 12:50:25 PDT 2010

This approach is cheap; but, it works. All the hatches (and companionway,)
had this type screen when we bought the boat: plastic screen cut larger than
opening, bounded along edges with a thin nylon(?) tape folded and glued
(better sewed.) Use square Velcro pieces in corners and attach to overhead.
Let Velcro cure overnight before attaching screen. On deck hatches, add a
Velcro square in the center of the long side. They attach and remove easily
and don't interfere with opening/closing hatches. Once a year we may have to
replace one or two of the Velcro pieces; but, that's no biggie.

The companionway had a similar screen with snaps at the upper corners and
Velcro in the lower corners and midway. The hatch has to be closed to use
this. The lock hasp on the aft edge of the hatch interfered with a tight
closing where it intersected the screen. I cut a hole for it; but, it left
something to be desired.

Pattie made a replacement for the companionway screen with some plastic
screen using the existing snaps at the top of the entry, and adding a metal
bar to the bottom for tension.  There is a piece of wide nylon webbing from
snap to snap to give rigidity to the top and anchor the snaps.  Instead of
ending above the snaps, she extended it to cover the hatch. We added three
snaps to the vertical space between the hatch and the traveler. It is wide
enough to cover the deck drains at the top to keep the little buggers from
entering that way because we can now use the cover with the hatch open or
closed.  When not in use, it rolls up nicely around the rod which is sewn
into a pocket of nylon webbing at the bottom.  This was also cheap to make.

Next time there, I'll take some pictures for an article.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay