[C320-list] Rigging for 30+knts

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 14:07:10 PDT 2010

I suspect that you are not getting your sails flat enough...and after 10
years or so, they might be too bagged out to do do so.

I can roll my 135 in about 10% and still keep it fairly flat and I only have
a single reef in the main. So, at 30K I tighten the reef as much as possible
to flatten the foot and luff, I ease the vang to reduce twist in the main
and ease the genoa blocks for the same reason in the Genny. Even then, I am
a bit over-powered in the gusts so I am forced to lower the traveller to
compensate...too much work, tough on the hands even with gloves, but
effective.

I have been shopping for a used 90%-95% blade for heavy weather, but no luck
so far...I  will probably get a second reef when I replace my main, but I
think a third reef would only be useful in serious offshore work. I feel
sure that a third reef should not be required for sailing in 30K  with your
110 rolled in 10%, two reefs in the main and both sails properly depowered.

As for sailing a C-320 on one sail in 30k...it ssss...errr...it is no
fun...can't go upwind very well with the headsail alone and a reefed main
alone is pretty slow.

--
Chris Burti Farmville, NC