[C320-list] Rigging for 30+knts

Ken Danko ken320 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 14 08:40:08 PDT 2010

Pat:

When I purchased new sails I bought a 100% jib, some people in the bay
area use 95%. What I noticed is that with new sails (North), Grace could
more easily handle higher winds which is necessary since 30 knots of
wind is not unusual here. But in answer to your question, I think a lot
depends on point of sail. Sometimes I use a reefed main alone and
sometimes I use the jib alone and sometimes the jib is partially furled.
Going up wind requires the jib, at least part of it. A beam reach can
work well with a reefed main alone as can down wind sailing.

Ken