[C320-list] Bilge pump cycling excessively

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Thu Jul 15 12:34:43 PDT 2010

I agree with Dick here.

Also, I *believe* that there is not supposed to be a check valve in a bilge pump line.

The thing to do is adjust your stuffing box to eliminate dripping when the prop isn't turning.

Unless you have the GFO packing material, you should get a few drops a minute with the prop spinning running.

If the stuffing box locknut is corroded you may need a few drops of corrosion cutting penetrating oil sitting for a day or so before trying to adjust it.

I tighten the large nut by hand until the dripping stops, then hold that still and retighten the locknut.

-Jeff