[C320-list] Bilge pump cycling excessively

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 07:36:12 PDT 2010

I think that the PSS shaft seal is product with a well deserved and
excellent reputation. I certainly don't believe I would remove one if I
purchased a boat with one installed. However, as failure can be so
disastrous when it occurs, however rarely, and GFO produces a dry bilge so
much more inexpensively and, in my view, more reliably, I chose not to
spend couple of hundred bucks installing one. I installed my GFO in the
water for less than $10 fourt years ago and have only had to readjust it
once. I am not making any argumeent against installing them as much
as pointing out that there are very good reasons to choose the alternatives.

That said, Boat U.S. (which has no dog in the fight) has an excellent
article addressing the most common problems and maintenance issues which
should be useful for those that have them and informative to those
considering them. Here is the URL

http://www.boatus.com/diyarticles/2004_4pss.asp

Purely in the interest of clarifying propaganda I see commonly repeated, I
believe there are there actually are documented failures (most as a result
of maintenance or installation issues) as I seem to recall a Boat U.S.
article about a sinking  and one merely needs to "Google PSS shaft seal
problems" or  "PSS shaft seal failures" to find evidence of the same
See:
http://usauctions.com/ItemDetails.aspx?ID=8205#Directions

FWIW,  in an earlier search on the subject, I also noted that the Coast
Guard is specifying packing seals again in its written maintenance
specifications.

--
Chris Burti Farmville, NC