[C320-list] Any experience with the Racor Vent air/fuel Separator??

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 12:48:34 PDT 2010

Several years ago I installed the Racor LG100, based on the recommendation
of BoatUS Foundation report.  Other than getting my body into the locker and
working upside down, the installation was not a problem. In fact, I have a
few pictures of the installation. If you like, send me an e-mail directly
and I'll return the pictures.

The value of this device is that it captures the foam and vents the air. As
the foam reduces back into liquid, it drains back into the tank. There is a
floating ball valve that will close if any liquid fuel overcomes the
separation process.  The unit must be installed in a relatively vertical
position and the hose from the tank must not have any negative loops.  I
simply cut the existing vent hose (I may have removed a section,) and
attached the ends to the LG100. I secured the device to the bilge hose with
a long wire tie supplied.

I've never had any discharge from the vent since I installed the LG100.  I
can't say if it has made it any more likely that I'll have a back flow at
the deck.  I always know about how many gals. I'll fill, and slow down when
approaching this amount. I also keep an oil absorbent rag in hand for drips
and in case I get a back wash.

On the Chesapeake Bay, the fuel docks may have high and/or low flow diesel
pumps. The high flow pumps have a larger nozzle on the hose for filling the
plastic monsters and move fuel at a prodigious rate easily overwhelming my
tank's ability to accept it.  These large nozzles just barely fit the
opening of the tank filler.  The low flow nozzles fit easily and dispense
fuel at a reasonable rate for the 320 design.  I've never had an over flow
problem with a low flow nozzle. I've had a couple with the high flow jobs.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay