[C320-list] Honda generator questions

Albrecht, Alan Alan.Albrecht at Williams.com
Wed Jul 21 15:12:20 PDT 2010

We also own an EU 2000 Honda generator. One evening, anchored with no
wind we had the same arrangement you use with the Honda on the port
locker and a "window type" a/c unit in the companion way. Fortunately we
deployed a CO detector at the companion way. Everything seemed fine
until after several hours of running the CO detector inside the cabin
alarmed. My theory is that on that windless night the CO concentration
at the stern was drawn into the boat by the a/c unit fan. We no longer
use the Honda on board while anyone is sleeping. Boat US has a number of
good articles on the dangers of CO on boats which should be urge you to
read.
-----Original Message-----
From: c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com
[mailto:c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com] On Behalf Of Robert
Seastream
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:37 PM
To: C320-List at Catalina320.com
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Honda generator questions

We have the Honda EU200i 'Companion'.  The difference between it and
the stock unit is that it lacks the 12 VDC charging output the stock
unit has, but does have a twistlock receptacle that I desired and the
stock unit lacks.  I homebrewed a ~5 foot cable to connect into our
twistlock shore power receptacle.  We usually place it on the port
quarter storage access hatch but sometimes place it (secured) on the
swim platform, provided we're sure no wash from passing boats might
swamp the genset.  I'd never place it in a dink as I'd want the genset
and boat on the same platform for safety reasons.  We use it primarily
to charge our batteries as needed.  We also use it to run a small
(~5000 BTU) window unit air conditioner that we place in the cabin
entrance way (we have custom washboards that fit around it while still
allowing cabin to cockpit access) when the heat is brutal.  While
perhaps a crude arrangement, it works.  Recently, this arrangement
brought the internal cabin temperature down from 85 F to 68 F in about
two hours.  I've heard this genset will start/run up to 12000 BTU units.

Bob Seastream
Intutition # 906