[C320-list] Starting Battery

catalina at thehares.com catalina at thehares.com
Tue Jun 1 10:29:46 PDT 2010

Hey Paul,

It should work fine.  The wires that might be on the forward battery
terminals are:  (Sorry this got longer than I anticipated)

Fwd 4d GROUND:
1) A large BLACK ground wire connecting to the other 4D ground terminal
2) A smaller BLACK ground wire going to the Windlass ground

Fwd 4d POWER:
3) A Large RED power going to the battery selector switch
4) A smaller RED power coming from the battery Charger.
5) A smaller RED power going to the Windlass breaker

The general idea here is to jumper the pair of 4Ds in Parallel. (+ to
+) and (- to -) The Grounds are already connected by a short jumper.
You just do the same thing with the Power terminals.

Then on the forward 4D: you remove the wire going to the selector (#3
above) and the Shore Power wire (#4 above) and connect those to the
power terminal of the starting battery.

For the Negative terminal of the starting battery, you simply need to
add a short FAT jumper over to the Negative terminal of the forward 4D
to complete the task.

So you end up with:
===================
* A single large house battery bank that will provide a few more
usable Amp hours than when using them individually.  The battery
selector position that used to select the AFT 4D is now the "House"
battery.

* An emergency Starting battery that can be selected by using the
selector position that used to be the FORWARD 4D.  This is now the
"Starting" battery.

* Normally you can just leave the battery switch selected to "House"
and use the house bank to start the engine, and run the world.  If the
house bank won't crank the engine because it's too run down, just
switch to the Starting battery and start it up.  It'll be fully
charged since it's isolated from the house bank.  Switch to ALL when
motoring to recharge the house bank and top off the starting battery.

NOTE: The Shore Power Charger will charge both the house and starting
battery *automatically* whenever you're plugged in regardless of what
you do with the selector switch since it bypasses the selector switch.

My Recommendation is to add a Blue Seas ACR (my preference) or battery
combiner that will automatically keep the starting battery charged
whenever there is a charge source on the house battery.  Then, for all
intents and purposes, you just leave the selector set to "House" and
the starting battery is automatically maintained both when motoring
and when plugged into shore power.

It's a great upgrade to add a Link 2000 monitor or digital volt meter
on the panel to keep an eye on battery voltages.  The analog meter on
the panel is really useless. :)

I would also suggest an automotive AGM starting battery.  An Exide
Orbital or something similar. They can be mounted in any position,
charge very fast and don't leak.  Don't make the mistake of getting a
combination deep cycle/starting battery for this, this is important.

BTW, my starting battery is sitting on a shelf I added in the space
just forward of the forward 4D.  I think there are pictures of the
shelf on the website.

Cheers!
-Jeff

PS: Feel free to give me a call on my cell anytime if you just want to
chat about details or alternatives.  (603) 490-9624