[C320-list] Starting Problem - Need Your Help

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Wed Jun 2 11:30:03 PDT 2010

Karl,

The MacLube didn't hurt anything.

Suspicions:

*  The connector block in the engine pod and/or wires in there may be corroded.  Its a good idea to open this every 3 or 4 yrs and make sure the wires are in good shape.

*  The wires to the starter button may be corroded (or a failing starter button/ignition switch).  Not too familiar with the starter system on that model.

* connections to the starter solenoid may also be corroded, especially if the batter terms were also.

* the engine wiring harness connector is where the engine pod wires connect into the engine's wiring harness. Disconnect/Inspect/reconnect a few times to ensure clean connections.  (Assuming there is such a beast)

* finally,  the A/B/Both switch could be going bad, with corroded or burned contacts. See if it gets warm when trying to start the engine.

* finally, its worth inspecting the connectors on the main heavy gauge cables. The heat shrink tubing can cover a corroded crimp.

I bought some large diameter heat shrink tubing that I can cut and slip over the lugs and shrink to reseal the lugs after inspecting.

That's all I can think of. A good volt meter will help here.

-Jeff