[C320-list] What the reefing shuttle block in the boom is for (was "Outhaul lost in boom")

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Sat Jun 26 08:29:01 PDT 2010

I'm catching up a bit late on this, and have changed the subject line.

Larry, Bruce and others:

It is NOT TRUE that the internal shuttle block on the "single line"
reefing system is there to give you additional purchase.  Since there
are actually two lines in this system, each turned 180 degrees at the
two ends of the internal shuttle block, it is a 2:2 system inside the
boom, and has purchase equivalent to a single straight through line (1:1
inside the boom).

Because of this, many have speculated that the shuttle block serves no
purpose and just adds friction due to the extra sheaves, and have
removed the shuttle block, replacing it with a single straight through
line.  In my mind this is a mistake.  The internal shuttle block serves
two purposes other than additional purchase.

1.  Despite the extra blocks, it actually reduces total friction in the
system relative to a system that uses a single straight through line.
This is very counterintuitive, but is true.  The savings come because
with the shuttle block system less line needs to be pulled through the
forward (tack) cringle -- a very high friction point in the system -- in
order to get any particular degree of reefing.

Of course you can overcome that friction at the tack cringle by
installing blocks on the sail itself.  However it's my experience that
this is not necessary if you use the internal shuttle block.  (Of course
doing both will reduce friction the most.)

2.  Because the internal shuttle block system actually uses separate
lines at the tack and clew it can be reeved in a manner that permits
removing the reef lines from the sail without having to unreeve the end
of the line going to the cockpit, and without removing any lines going
through the boom.  On my boat I can untie a single bowline at each end
of the boom to unreeve the reef lines from the mainsail.  I do not
believe this is possible without having two separate lines, as with the
internal shuttle block arrangement.

p.s. to Larry:  Yes there is less stretch with two lines inside the boom
than with one, but there is also twice as much line to stretch.  For any
given load on the reef line (measured at the cockpit, ignoring friction
for the moment) you will have the same load on the line through the tack
and the line through the clew with either system, since the purchase is
the same.  But there possibly will be a bit more stretch with the
shuttle block due to the additional length of line used.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653

--
Scott Thompson