[C320-list] Portable Solar Panel Connection

Dean Vermeire dean at vermeire.us
Sun Jun 27 14:32:58 PDT 2010

I bought the SE-170, which is their smaller trickle charger.  "Mounting"
it was really just a matter of setting it on the flat surface behind the
settee near the window.  I just hooked the battery clips straight to the
batteries.  It has a little light that goes on when it is getting
sufficient sunlight to charge.  The light was on just about any way I
placed the thing inside the cabin.  Again, my objective was just to keep
the batteries topped off for the winter.

Scott Thompson wrote:
> Which window and how did you mount it?  Also, which size panel?
>
> Seems like this would be less effective with a boat swinging on a
> mooring.  On the other hand, there is more summer sunlight so maybe not.
>
> Dean Vermeire wrote:
>> For what it is worth, I put one of the small "Sunsei" solar chargers
>> inside the cabin of our C320 for the winter.  I checked on it several
>> times.  It was able to get enough sunlight just by putting it near
>> one of the cabin windows to keep the batteries charged.
>>
>> Dean Vermeire
>> Moonstruck II (#847)
>>
>> Mike Ott wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>> Our boat is on a mooring, so gaining a few amps of electricity from
>>> the Sun would be a nice offset to running the engine for the first
>>> few hours on weekend cruises.  I would like to put a flexible solar
>>> panel on top of my Bimini and plug it into a cigarette lighter
>>> adapter on my engine instrument panel.  The adapter is for my search
>>> light and draws power from the engine harness wiring.  Would this
>>> system work ?  Would it create any problems with the engine harness
>>> wiring or the alternator to run power back through the harness to
>>> the batteries ?  would I have to leave the main battery selector
>>> swith on ? I know this is not the best way to proceed but I'm just
>>> looking for a temporary fix for our short sailing season here in New
>>> England.
>>> Regards,