[C320-list] Raymarine 4000 Autopilot Upgrade

John Frost john at frostnet.net
Sun Mar 7 07:22:18 PST 2010

I received in the mail yesterday an (unsolicited) upgrade to my 2007
Raymarine 4000 Autopilot. It was sent by the Catalina supplier  Ocean
Equipment.

It is a grey metal rod, about 5 inches long, that mounts on the left side of
the pedestal and serves as  "an additional indexing stop for the drive wheel
that is attached to the steering wheel".  It fits in a slot in the drive
wheel, I assume to further stabilize it. It is said that installing it will
"upgrade your autopilot installation to the current factory installation of
the Raymarine 4000 Autopilot".

While I certainly appreciate the customer care to send me upgrades that I
may need, I am curious what benefit it will provide if I install it. Does
anyone know if it is a safety issue?

My Autopilot seems to work fine as it is and I am not keen about drilling
holes in my pedestal if not needed.

Happy Sailing!

John

2007 C320MKII