[C320-list] C320-list Digest, Vol 724, Issue 1

Alan Goodman goodmanalanlee at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 12 14:48:55 PST 2010

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:55:54 -0500
From: Scott Thompson <surprise at thompson87.com>
To: C320-List at Catalina320.com
Cc: c320-list at lists.catalina320.com
Subject: Re: [C320-list] C320-list Digest, Vol 722, Issue 1

Scott - You have a good point, and up until a few months ago I was buying on-line based upon
the advertised price. Problem is service after the sale.  I recently bought an item from that
big on-line retailer with a store in Waterford CT.  A few months later, I had a problem with
the merchandise, and their policy is after 30 days, deal direct with the manufacturer. Lucky
for me it was a Weems and Plath product, and W&P immediately resolved my issue (tremendous
and prompt service).  With WM, there is none of this '30 days and so long', so I have a bit
of a conflict.  Your point that prices in general would be higher without these other retailers
is true ... I guess it is a catch-22.  What do others think?  Alan

I personally would never give the business to WM just because they are
willing to match the competitors price.  That's punishing the competitor
for stepping up with a good offer, and if we all do it, the good prices
will disappear.  WM should offer the better price in the first place, if
they want my business.

Scott

Alan Goodman wrote:

> Lew - I too have been GPS shopping and am considering purchasing the Garmin 441.
While WM's price is $599, there is a $100 Garmin rebate for purchases made between
January 1, 2010, and April 4, 2010 (see WM web site).  I just purchased from WM an
Oregon 400C, but I am likely to return it and pay the additional $200 and for the 441.
The Oregon 400C at $299 is also a good choice, but even though the 441's screen is
only marginally larger, it is enough to convince me to trade up.  As to price matching,
it is WM policy to do so, and i have never had an issue with them matching a legitimate
retailer's on-line price.  Given the service and no hassle return, IMHO, WM with a
price match cannot be beat. Alan