[C320-list] Protecting the heat exchanger from impeller vanes

Alan Goodman goodmanalanlee at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 16:44:34 PDT 2010

Thank you to all who responded to me both on the forum and by direct mail in regards to my inquiry about impeller replacement.  Many responses said to replace the impeller annually for among other reasons, a broken impeller vane can lodge in a heat exchanger tube and block / reduce flow.  That got me thinking ...  what about adding a raw water strainer between the raw water pump outlet and the inlet into the heat exchanger?  This would serve two purposes: (i) protect the heat exchanger from an impeller debris and (ii) provide early visual warning that an impeller failed by capturing the debris in the clear strainer.  Any reason not to do this?  Alan Hull #67  Holland MI