[C320-list] C320-list Digest, Vol 724, Issue 1

Larry Frank WindSwept at stx.rr.com
Sat Mar 13 09:40:30 PST 2010

West Marine used to have good prices on their own.

Then they purchased one supplier, E&B I think, and they raised their prices.

Then they did their deal with Boat US and prices when up again.

The local Boater's World went out of business.  West Marine's price match
policy hurt them.

Our local West Marine does not offer the same service they did in the
beginning.  There stock levels are inadequate.  I have heard them say that
after 30 days, you have to deal with the manufacturer.

What is clear is that they are running all the competition out of business.
This price matching strategy is a key weapon in their arsenal.

They are taking advantage of their loyalty.

If we only buy from West Marine, then West Marine will be the only place we
have to buy from.  At that point they won't care about service, stock in
local stores or prices.  They will have us.

West Marine will still get the lion's share of my business because of the
convenience factor and there are many items where price isn't that
important.  I am not anti West Marine, I just want to make sure there are
competitors to keep them honest.

Larry
WindSwept C320 #246