[C320-list] Main Cleat upgrade?

Denny Browne dennybrowne at verizon.net
Sat May 15 08:32:03 PDT 2010

The accidental jibe never occurred to me, and the resulting shock load would
likely damage even the aluminum offshore cleat if the wind was significant.
Not even sure how to calculate that, but I'm sure an engineer could. That's
why working loads are usually 15 to 20% of breaking strength. When an
accidental jibe is a risk, we usually keep a couple of wraps on the winch
and the sheet in hand, rather than cleated, so it can ease a little to
absorb the shock of an unexpected jibe. That risk makes an excellent case
for keeping the mainsheet on the winch, unless the winch is needed for a
halyard. Thanks for pointing that out.

DENNY BROWNE
A Cappella #935
Redondo Beach