[C320-list] Changing the Racor Filter

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Tue May 25 16:20:20 PDT 2010

I just changed the Racor on my 2002.  There are two fittings on the
filter assembly (what the filter screws into) top.  One accepts a flat
screwdriver and is apparently for bleeding the Racor; the other has a
'star' shape to it, which is apparently the 'pump'.  Unscrew the
'star' fitting (might need needle nose pliers to start it) and you'll
be able to pump fuel from the tank into the Racor.  BTW, on the bottom
side of the filter 'bowl' you'll find two fittings.  One is to drain
just water from the bowl, the other is to drain water and fuel from
the bowl completely.  Should you change your Racor, beware that it
takes quite some time to purge air from the fuel lines.  Your diesel
won't run properly/at all until all air is purged.  As a first timer,
it took me an hour to change the Racor filter, and two hours to purge
all air from the system.  All the while thinking 'my wife's gonna kill
me if I can't get this engine started after mucking with it.'  I've
yet to change the secondary filter mounted on the engine.  Both are
two (2) micron filters, so I'm sure the Racor will catch any nasties
until I can change the secondary filter.  My thanks to Jeff Hare for
taking my call on a Saturday.  You'd think he'd nothing to do but
answer my questions.

Bob Seastream
Intuition # 906