[C320-list] Yanmar Winterizing Blues

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Mon Nov 1 13:25:15 PDT 2010

Absolutely increase engine rpms to 1500-2000.  Next time, go to an
auto parts store and buy a Prestone 'fill 'n drain' or 'flush 'n fill'
kit.  It's just an assortment of 'T' adapters with threads to
accommodate a standard garden hose fitting.  Cut into the raw water
intake line just before the engine and install the T fitting (with
hose clamps), then cap it off with the supplied cap.  Next haulout,
all you need do is close your thru hull intake, attach a garden hose
(cut to a few feet in length) to the T fitting and stick the other end
of the hose into the antifreeze bottle you've placed on your cabin
steps or in the cockpit.  Those locations are best because they're
higher than the engine and will start the siphoning action quicker.
Prime the hose by first pouring antifreeze into the 'bottle end' if
you wish.  Have a couple more gallons uncapped nearby.  Start the
engine, rev up, and pull antifreeze through until you see antifreeze
coming out the exhaust.  This is best done with two people; one to
supply antifreeze, the other to observe the exhaust output.   Learned
this one from Jeff Hare.

Bob Seastream
Intuition # 906