[C320-list] Kiwi Prop

Robert Tiernay bob.tiernay at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 14:48:18 PST 2010

I purchased a kiwi prop about 3 years ago.  The support (John Blundell) was
great.  I used the prop on the chesapeake for several months and thought the
prop wsa better than sex.  Boat stopped on a dime easy to back up.  Could
not make top revs and had problems with black smoke when my Balmar
alternator engaged.  Against John's  recommendation I turned the adjustments
screws backa 1/2 turn.  Still only could get to 3100 rpm (versus the spec of
3400).  Started heading south and in Norfolk found boat wouldn't reverse on
occasion.  Not fun whne you are approaching a bridge!  I asked Mack Boring
for help and they correctly diagnosed that the prop was at fault.  The
blades were likely not flipping over .   In talking to them I found out that
if you cannot meet the spec loaded revs of the engine (the 3gm30f is 3400
rpm) then you would likely not be covered by warranty for any major repair.
The reason being that is that if you are overloaded at max revs then you are
also overlaoded over the whole rpm range.  I took the prop off and put on
the factory prop - no more black smoke.  Sent the prop back to kiwi and they
installed some new bushing which are now standard on new production.
Haven't put it back on as I have been motoring a lot and the factory prop is
more effecient.  I belive there was some lawsuits about the reversing
issue - people hitting docks etc.

Bob Tiernay 725