[C320-list] Leaking Fuel Tank

Jeffrey Kapec jkapec at tkdg.com
Thu Oct 14 06:34:47 PDT 2010

  Hello All:

I remember a discussion a few months ago regarding a leaking
tank.  Low and behold, yesterday I was taking Petite Suite
in for the winter layup.   Arrived at the boat to begin the
sail to Wilson Cove and smelled something as I boarded ,
solvent like and thought....that can't be good.  Looked in
the bilge and there was 2 inches of diesel.  Checked the
engine and there were no leaks.  Opened the access panels in
starboard storage and the tank looked OK.  Checked the tank
as viewed from the port access hatch in the main berth and
saw diesel fuel dripping (1 drip every 4 secs) from the
outside corner.  We pumped out the diesel fuel from the
bilge using a hand operated bilge pump and put that into an
empty container. We managed to get the boat to the marina
for haul out.  Now I am left with a mess, a leaking tank and
a smell.  Has anyone had experience with removing and
replacing the tan?  Is this a problem other have had?.  And
any suggestions for removing diesel fuel and smell from
bilge. This is a 2000   C320.

Thank you!

Jeff Kapec
Petite Suite Hull 718