[C320-list] Selden Spreader End Cap Installation Query

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Tue Oct 26 05:32:42 PDT 2010

I am in the process of preparing Tegwen #1141 for a trip from Batemans Bay
down the NSW coast and across Bass Strait to Hobart, Tasmania, then a
circumnavigation of Tasmania and finally the return across Bass Strait and
back to her home port of Batemans Bay.  This is a potentially "heroic" trip
and so I am wanting everything to be as right as I can make it.

This week I had the rigging checked and tuned. (It has always been too loose
IMHO and this proved to be the case). As part of this process it came to
light that the end cap in the top spreader appears to have been installed
incorrectly and I am wondering if other MKII owners with the Selden rig have
their top spreaders configured as mine are?

The end cap has two holes in it to take shrouds - one clamping and one with
no grip at all.  Tegwen's cap shrouds have been installed through the no
grip hole on the top spreader.  The Selden "HINTS AND ADVICE on rigging and
tuning of your Seldén mast" 2010-06-29 edition talks about clamping the top
spreader on a multi spreader rig.

I did take pictures of as much as possible when Tegwen was being readied by
the dealer and the detail can be seen at
http://sgcox.site.net.au/tegwen_cap_shroud_spreader_cap.htm.  While having
the wit to take pictures at the time I didn't have the wisdom then to
interpret fully what now seems to be very clear.

I believe Tegwen was incorrectly rigged on delivery but just want to know
how others have been rigged before I take this any further.  I don't need to
lose the rig on the west coast of Tasmania!

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141
Canberra AUSTRALIA