[C320-list] Battery Charger Problems

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Mon Oct 11 16:50:00 PDT 2010

Let's not forget to tell Bob that his bilge pump is hardwired to the
battery.  Very important; done so that the bilge pump will function
regardless of what position you leave the main battery switch in.
Yes, you'd have to leave the main battery switch on either battery one
or two, if you wanted to run anything (fridge) else.  Yes, the
breakers (red buttons) are very hard to move.  However, even if you'd
managed to 'disengage' or 'open' either or both, that wouldn't kill
your batteries.  The windlass doesn't run unless you're at the bow
stepping on the footswitch, and the purpose of the main breaker is to
disconnect the rest of the boat or 'load' from the batteries.  The
charger would still charge the batteries.  Chargers (like many
electronic widgets) do simply up and die ('worked fine until it
quit'), some more than others.  Your charger may be in the 'more'
category, brands below.

Bob Seastream
Intuition # 906

On Oct 11, 2010, at 4:22 PM, Bryan Campbell wrote:

> The Promariner chargers are crap!!! I'm on charger #8 in two years.
> The only
> reason I still have one is that they send me a new one each time
> free. When
> that quits, I'm going with the Xantrex.

>>> windlass.  Other than that, I haven't done anything out of  the