[C320-list] Air Conditioning Installation Question

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Sat Oct 30 17:13:38 PDT 2010

Larry,

When we installed a 16.5k BTU reverse AC/Heat unit in the port locker we
made sure that a 5/8 inch layer of dense foam rubber was used to dampen the
unit's vibration so there was no direct transfer of vibration and noise from
the compressor by avoiding the unit's direct contact with the bottom of the
locker (that produced a sound box effect).

We also added a 2 x 10 inch board beneath the unit raises the condensate pan
high enough to allow the condensate to drain directly to the transom exiting
in a separate line alongside the propane locker drain. To avoid any concern
about a backflow of water into the locker should we experience any heavy
following seas we also installed a seacock in the locker between the
condensate pan and the transom exit line.

We discoverer that it was more efficient to fashioned some quarter inch
plywood to develop a tight plenum box fit to the air return grill located at
the foot of the aft cabin. We sealed the box with some foam insulation tape
and also installed a grill in the aft cabin door that comes in handy to
quickly cool down the main cabin during those 90 degree /90 percent humidity
days when the aft cabin is not being used. The tight fit to the intake grill
reduces AC cycling.

Likewise we also mounted the pump in the aft cabin and insulated the pump
with some foam rubber to reduce pump noise and made sure that there was no
transfer of vibration to the aft cabin panels beneath the mattress. The cold
air exit is above the bread box and works fine, cooling the bow cabin with
no other air exits necessary.

One tip we did learn was to raise the lower limit on the auto-variable speed
unit fan because some marinas experience voltage drops. The lower fan
settings on the variable fans speeds tend to create armature heat when the
voltage drops and the windings begin to smell as the fan is turning too
slow. The fan may be damaged permanently if the variable fan speed lower
limits are not raised if the motor is heated repeatedly due to voltage
drops.

Only regret is that we did not get around to installing the unit earlier
after putting up with less desirable results from the portable 5K unit!

Rick

My-Ria #277