[C320-list] Crew Overboard!

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Tue Sep 14 09:08:02 PDT 2010

First thing we do is throw out the rings and stuff that floats if you're still close.

I'd suggest  immediately assigning the "pointer" as the first person to spot the overboard crew. Their job is to point at the victim with full arm so the rest of the crew can always glance at the pointer know where the victim is in relation to the boat. Pointer never takes their eyes off the person in the water and never lowers their arm and does no other job until the rescue is certain.

For most points of sail we dispense with the figure 8 and execute a hard 180 through the wind (not a gybe) leaving the sails totally alone.  The boat will usually end up in the Heave-To configuration with the jib backwinded and have enough momentum to reach the overboard crew.  You don't typically end up with flapping sails to distract from the task at hand. We aim to the windward side of the victim and then drift down to them.

It's much Faster to execute, and less chance of losing sight of victim. All the tacking of a fig 8 is wasted time and tough to get right unless you're racing or ready to tack twice and have skilled crew.  We never do.

Others may disagree but toss out a ring and try the quick 180 tack sometime when you're on a reach.   Our sailing instructors used to catch us napping and slip the life ring in the water and go down below and call Man Overboard to us on deck.

They all taught the fig 8 and when we got that down well, said now here's how its really done. :)

All that said we've only had to rescue a half dozen hats, floating trash and the occasional cushion so far.

My opinions, of course.
-Jeff Hare