[C320-list] Crew Overboard!

Mike Ott wmo48 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 14 11:41:01 PDT 2010

Earlier this summer we had a similar situation.  Usually its my wife and I with our 55 lb. basset hound sailing Narragansett Bay.  We have never had any issues before, bassets with their short legs have a nice low center of gravity.  She wears a life-jacket most of the time because bassets don't swim well, those short legs again.

We had just left our marina and was motoring out our channel, both my wife and I were busy getting ready to set sail.  The dog was on the bow practicing to be a figurehead.  The channel was busy and neither one of us saw or heard her go over the side (very scary).  I make a habit of routinely looking behind for over-taking power boats when I saw her life-jacket bobbing in the water 3 boat lengths back.  I quickly executed a 180 turn, drifted down on her from windward and snatched her up with a boat hook.

We have practiced MOB and I have standing orders which prohibit someone from going into the water after a MOB.  We also throw life rings and anything else that float, plus appoint a lookout to watch the MOB at all times and yell where away the MOB is in relation to the boat as we maneuver for pickup.

We never thought we would have a situation, during the day, where we would lose someone without anyone knowing it....live and learn.  The dog now rarely leaves the cockpit until we are anchored or moored.

Mike Ott
"Amanda Lu"