[C320-list] Bottom Paint

Jeffrey Kapec jkapec at tkdg.com
Fri Sep 17 14:07:06 PDT 2010

  I have used the water base Pettit Hydrocoat successfully
for the last four years.  I get two years per season.  it is
ablative so by the 2nd year it showing its age.  Have slime
but no barnacles  at the end of the 2nd season.  It is easy
to apply, does not smell as horrible as the other more
potent solvent based paints and very easy to clean
equipment.  I bonded the first coat of bottom paint onto the
barrier coat whne I did that 4 years ago.  I have no flaking
or chipping.  Paint surface is very smooth, fast.

See if you can get your hands on the real time non-biased in
water evaluations performed by "Practical Sailor" magazine.
If you are not familiar they are akin to the Consumer
Reports for sailing gear and other practical hardware and
safety stuff.  They have looked at which bottom paints
perform well in different environments in 6-12 and 24 month
intervals.  Bottom paints in Flor4ida for example perform
different in northern waters like Long Island Sound where
Petite Suite sails.

Jeff Kapec
Petite Suite 718