[C320-list] Packing change

Pat Ireland cherie320 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 08:31:20 PDT 2011

When we changed out the packing it took about an hour and the bildge pump
turned on one time.  We wrapped the shaft while we removed the old packing
and installed the new.  Long tie wrap helped hold the rag in place and the
flow was minimal.

We took the precaution of getting the manual bilge pump ready to go in the
event the electric pump failed.

While the water that comes in is minimal, I would not do the replacement in
the water without a working electric pump and someone else to help.  (What
can go wrong will ......)

If you can not replace the original bilge pump immediately, because it is
not available, you might consider installing a pump that is in stock.
Having two bilge pumps is a good safety measure.   A high water level
bilge alarm is also recommended.

There are several very helpful descriptions of how to change out the packing
that were posted in the past.  They made this operation much less stressful
for us than it would have been with no experience to draw upon.

Good Luck

Pat, 801