[C320-list] Packing change

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 5 15:08:28 PDT 2011

Paul, what I do is wrap the packing around the shaft overlapping the bitter
end.  Then, holding a razor blade at an angle to the axis of the shaft, saw
through both sections of the packing.  This creates an angled joint that is
self-sealing when pressure is applied.

I've never done this in the water; but, I understand others have
successfully.  However, if you have never replaced the packing and want to
remove the old, this is better done on the hard as it can be very difficult
to get the old out.

I was told by a diesel mechanic that he never removes the old packing. He
just adds as many new rings as will fit.  For what it's worth

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"