[C320-list] Yanmar Problem

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sun Apr 17 14:31:15 PDT 2011

Like Allan, we used to have that problem too. We replaced the raw water pump assembly for about $160 and it primes instantly at an idle ever since.

We added a T-fitting in the raw water line after the strainer that allows us hook a short section of garden hose when flushing/winterizing. We use a 5 gal jug with a shutoff valve that sits in the cockpit and the hose feeds through the small hatch into aft cabin. With the water hose adjusted to keep the jug full it's super easy. There is a picture on the website.

-jeff

"allan.field at verizon.net" <allan.field at verizon.net> wrote:

To suck water out of a bucket the engine needs VERY high rpm's in my experience. I run I excess of 2000 when trying this. Allan S Field Sent via DROID X on Verizon Wireless -----Original message----- From: Joseph Aberdale <summerwind3 at comcast.net> To: C320-List at Catalina320.com Sent: Sun, Apr 17, 2011 16:54:22 GMT+00:00 Subject: Re: [C320-list] Yanmar Problem Thanks for your responses. I inspected the impeller after I started it. There are no missing vanes or cracks. There are no air leaks in the line. I think water is getting to the pump because the large clear plastic filter in the line is filled with water. The boat is on the hard. I have the water intake hose disconnected from the thru hull and in a pail of water about six inches higher than the pump. Joe #908 On Apr 17, 2011, at 12:40 PM, Karl Krueger wrote: > Hello Joe: > > How old is the impeller? Did you examine it to determine if the > vanes were > damaged or cracking? If it's older and it sat all winter it's > possible that > one of the vanes broke off when the engine started. > > Also, check the through hull value, make certain it is open and > water is > coming in. It maybe the opening in clogged. > > Best wishes. > > Karl Krueger (Kindred Spirit #282, MKE WI) > > On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Joseph Aberdale > <summerwind3 at comcast.net>wrote: > >> I started my Yanmar in my 2002 320 and it was working fine. After >> about 5 >> minutes, it stopped sucking cooling water. Prior to starting, I >> opened the >> water pump and the impeller looked fine. It now refuses to suck up >> water >> from the pail. Does anyone have any ideas? >> >> Thank you. >> >> Joe >> #908 >> > > > > --> Karl W Krueger - ABR, CRS, GRI, CDPE > RE/MAX Realty 100 > Phone - 414-322-6541 > Fax - 414-327-6870