[C320-list] Is the Raymarine AIS250 Information Information Useful?

Utility Email kswanson123 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 20 09:30:30 PDT 2011

Does anyone have a Raymarine AIS250 As part of their Raymarine C89 chart plotter package on their Catalina 320?  I have an opportunity to purchase used one for about $300 that seems like it would be an easy "plug and play" installation into our integrated C80 chart plotter, GPS, Radar, and autopilot system.  I understand that new, the unit is about $650.

What I am wondering is:

1.  Do you find the AIS information useful when underway?
2.  If you have the Raymarine AIS250, does it work well?  Is it reliable?
3.  Have you found the AIS information worth the cost of these units?  In other words, "I won't leave home without it." or "We hardly ever use it, waste of money."

We sail mostly in Puget Sound, so there can be quite a bit of large commercial traffic transiting the areas which we sail frequently.

Anyway, any and all opinions welcome from both the C320 and C350 IA's since the layout, style, and equipment packages on both the C320 and C350 are so similar.

Dave

Dave Swanson
S/V Emily Ann
2007 C320 MK II, No. 1107