[C320-list] 320 race to mackinac

jim brown jbrown5093 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 1 14:04:47 PDT 2011

We were in Wisc when the storm hit. The boat with the fatalities was a Kiwi 35 a light fixed keel racer with 2 broad "wings off the cockpit. The skipper was very experienced according to reports. They had sails down and every one was tethered. The guess is that they were blown partially over by the wind and then a wave (6 feet by report) got under the lifted wing and turtled the boat. The skipper and crew member that died had head injuries that probably kept them from releasing their tethers. The remainder of the crew were able to unhook or cut loose and were rescued by another boat in the race. There was a picture of the hull floating upside down with a Coast Guard beacon attached to the upright keel (apparently it was stuck since the boat has a lifting keel). A naval architect who races Kiwi 35's was interviewed and said that this boat was probably the only mono hull that was as stable upside down as right side up like a catamaran. A tragedy to be sure
 and very scary. Glad you were OK

Jim Brown