[C320-list] Propellers and Diesel Fuel

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Thu Aug 4 19:23:08 PDT 2011

Dick-I also have an Autoprop and get hull speed at 2700 rpm with no smoke
out the exhaust.  I added a small spacer on the propeller shaft to avoid any
touching of the propeller to the strut when going from F to R, but am
thinking about eliminating it since you go through N and rest for a few
seconds before going to the other direction and there would not be any
issues with strut and rotating propeller.

We have ValvTect additive in our diesel fuel at the fuel dock in
Waukegan Harbor here in northern IL.  It is $ 4.45/gallon and I don't even
think about terrestial base fueling facilities when loading up.  It is fun
to pump out and fuel up (3 or 4 gallons at a time to keep the fuel tank
topped off per
recommendations from the diesel gurus) on a lazy day at the harbor.

According to ValvTect its marine Diesel with BioGuard Micro-Biocide is a
higher cetane premium diesel formulated with Diesel Guard and BioGuard. It
is specially formulated for marine engines to:

    Prevent growth of bacteria, algae and other microorganisms.
    Prevent oxidation, extend shelf life up to 2 years to prevent sludge.
    Disperse and safely remove water to prevent sludge, filter plugging &
corrosion.
    Clean-up and prevent fuel injector deposits to improve power and reduce
fuel consumption.
    Lubricate pumps and injectors to prevent premature wear.
    Protect against corrosion.
    Boost fuel economy up to 6%.
    Reduce smoke and odor.
    Reduce transom soot.
    Provide a more satisfying boating experience.

The lubricity and microorganism growth inhibitor properties are what I like.
10 seasons on hull 894 with harbor diesel containing this stuff and keeping
the fuel tank topped up and I have never seen any water or debris in the
Racor bowl.  On fuel filter changes I have never seen anything resembling
dirt or color on the fuel filters when they are replaced.

Bob Sloat
Savannah #894