[C320-list] Broken Stanchion - countersinking

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 8 13:05:55 PDT 2011

I've read articles advising that deck holes be chamfered (countersunk) to
hold a quantity of sealant.

When I last did my chain plates I chamfered the bolt holes. After applying
BoatLife Caulk and installing the cover plate and bolts, I installed the
nuts from below while holding the screws from turning and tightened the nuts
until the caulk began to squeeze out.  You want enough caulk to be squeezed
out to eliminate any trapped air.  After the caulk had set somewhat, I
snugged the nuts not moving the bolts.  That was several years ago and no
leaks, yet.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"