[C320-list] Overheating

Henderson, David dhender at allstate.com
Tue Aug 23 08:17:02 PDT 2011

Brad, My 3YM30 runs at about 185 - 190 degrees at 2800 RPM.  I replaced
the temp gauge and sender a couple of summers ago, so I believe they are
functioning well; and it seems to be pumping water beautifully at the
moment.  So like I said, thermostat and exhaust elbow are next on the
list.

Don, with regard to a recall, my Yanmar dealer mechanic told me that
back around 2005/2006 Yanmar did a "sort of" recall depending on where
you lived and which exchanger your engine had. Apparently, for some
period of time around 2005 they sold them with a smaller exchanger with
fewer tubes. After numerous complaints, they directly contacted everyone
in warmer climates  -  say, roughly, Chesapeake and south  -  with the
smaller exchanger and offered a free upgrade to the larger exchanger
with more tubes.  However, if you lived in a cooler climate area, i.e.
New England where I am, you were not notified and only got the upgrade
if you raised the issue and asked for it.  Apparently at some point they
started installing the larger, upgraded units in all 3YM30's.  As it
turns out, when I opened mine up to inspect it, I already had the larger
unit with more tubes (can't recall the exact number, but I think its
around 15) so the recall wouldn't have applied to me anyway.

Perhaps someone else knows the exact number of tubes in the small and
large exchangers so you can determine which you have.  And there also
should be a way to identify which exchanger based on serial number.
Maybe a mechanic or Yanmar could provide that info.

Dave H.
Dottie B  #1049