[C320-list] Gross sticky shore power cord?

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sat Aug 27 16:00:23 PDT 2011

While packing up the boat for the drizzle we're expecting, I gave the job of removing and storing the shore power cord to my wife. Mostly because I didn't want to be scraping tacky goo off *my* hands for the next hour and she didn't know about that part of the job yet. :)

Well, needless to say I wasn't very popular for a while and got assigned the job to clean it. "NOW!" I think was how that expression translates best in mixed company.

So, I figured I'd try what I heard or read somewhere about how to clean this easily and fast.

One 5 gallon pail with the cord coiled inside, some very warm/hot water and a cup of Oxy Clean. This is the same stuff you can use in the laundry.

Well, within a few minutes it was obvious the tacky black stuff was just dissolving. I took a sponge with a scrubby side and wiped the cord off as I pulled it out of the bucket. A soapy rinse and I have a clean power cord. When it's dry I'll wipe it down with some 303 vinyl protector.

I didn't allow either plug end into the bucket because I didn't know how it would react to the metal connections.

Hey, worked great for me. (Almost took me longer to type this message on my phone than it did to clean the cord. Something's wrong with this technology.)

-Jeff