[C320-list] Winterization Update - Shower and Fridge drain issue Comment and Easy Upgrade

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sat Dec 3 06:13:30 PST 2011

Brad-I have hull 894 (2002) and when delivered part of boat familiarization
was trying to
figure out the Y valve under the head sink. It is not very difficult and
once done, I labeled the 3 hoses functions (refrigerator drain, shower drain
and to pump) and
put in and out on the appropriate parts of the handle so you could line up
the refrigerator or shower hoses with the pump. No priming needed on
the pump on my boat. It pulls a pretty good head.  Just line up the Y valve
for discharging either the shower or refrigerator
sumps, open the thru hull for the head sink where the pump discharges, turn
on the pump and the sump is
emptied.  The strainer which is before the pump is checked once a season
since we don't use the shower very much and the refrigerator sump is pumped
once or twice a season.

A neat and cheap upgrade for the shower sump on my model which has the drain
outlet on the side wall of the lower part of the sump is to put a PVC elbow
in the shower sump drain outlet with the open
end pointing down to get the last bit of antifreeze or shower water out of
the sump. It works great.  I am not at the boat, but believe the elbow used
had a male end which fits into the existing sump drain hole with the female
end pointing down. It is very close to the bottom of the sump and clears
out essentially all liquid in the sump. The elbow is just stuck into the
sump drain hole and is held there by friction.  Six or more seasons and it
hasn't worked loose.  I don't have the pipe size, but it was a simple trial
and error from my bucket of misc. pipe fittings.  A little filing of the
elbow was needed for a good fit.

The drain for the refrigerator sump is on my hull the bottom of the sump so
this upgrade is not needed there.

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894 (2002)