[C320-list] folding prop

Amiraults Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 5 14:44:26 PST 2011

Jim:

As noted elsewhere, the prop is sized to both your engine and transmission.
Even if you are considering a used prop, you could make manufacturer contact
with your engine/trans information to confirm the makers size/pitch
recommendation and whether it matches your selected used item.

Concerning shaft swap, it may be true that some aftermarket props require a
bronze to SS shaft replacement due to the weight of the new prop; and I
can't speak to that. My replacement Kiwi feathering prop is light weight, as
the blades are composite and not metal. I did not change out my prop shaft
and I have had no problems with weight. I am also happy with the prop
performance. Consider this as an alternate if you are factoring the cost of
shaft replacement and on a budget.

All has not been goodness and light with the Kiwi. Once a year lubrication
is required and this is not difficult as boats get hauled in the fall in the
Great White North. Personal experience reveals that this lubrication should
be done in the fall before winterizing and NOT in the spring before launch.
The second winter, water in the blade shaft well of two blades froze and
blew out the o-ring on these blades. O-rings are non NA standard and I had
to send to NZ for replacements (free!), and remove blades to install the new
rings. Lube in the fall and no problem in the spring.

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too