[C320-list] Fridge Usage

Karl Mielenhausen kmielen at suddenlink.net
Mon Dec 12 05:29:30 PST 2011

Colin,

Here are a few thoughts to consider and some data collection requests that
might make it more effective for us to help you....

1/ When you return to the boat after 16 hrs and the fridge is no longer
running, what is the voltage indicated by the batteries? what is the
specific gravity of each cell? My fridge is designed to stop working if it
does not "see" 11.0V. Perhaps your electronic control module is faulty and
it is shutting down to soon. Or wire of an insufficient gauge was used.  My
Adler/Barbour manual has specific recommendations.

2/ Could there be any other (unknown) significant power draws during those
16 hrs that would be depleting your charge? Have you turned everything else
off? Keep in mind your bilge pump circuit will still be energized as it
should be wired directly to the battery switch, not the breaker panel. I
have even heard of those new electronic bilge monitors consuming enough
power over time to run down batteries. Or there could be some other current
leak.

3/ Is it possible to run the fridge on each of your house
batteries separately after a full charge and provide voltage decay data for
each battery.

4/ Exactly how did your supplier determine "they are fine". Measure the
voltage? the S.G.? Do a load test?

I'm not an EE, but I hope this helps,
Karl Mielenhausen