[C320-list] Fridge Usage

Dingo Is Talent dingoistalent at bigpond.com
Mon Dec 12 15:32:13 PST 2011

HI ALL
Ron here in AUSTRALIA.
I think the big thing you are all overlooking is that I believe that the
WAECO is really a fridge one would use more as a harbour hop cooler...
short trip use.

To think that it could run constantly for days on end without depleting
batteries is fiction.

Here's what I do.
I create a heap of block ice and use the ICE BOX for major things like
cooling drinks and keeping bulk food (all in containers) cool.
I still have Ice in the ice box 10 days later. And that's here in 35 degrees
Celsius plus summer.
I only use the fridge minimally.
Then, knowing that it depletes the battery, I usually run the Yanmar once or
twice a day to top up the battery.
When I run the motor I make sure it's in gear but keep revs low. Apparently
not good to run a diesel without load for long periods.

Battery one is for house, I keep battery 2 as pure starter battery.

After a week away my meat in the freezer in the fridge is still frozen and
all this on a setting of about 5.

By the way....when charging up the batteries this way I crank the fridge to
7 so it gives it an extra cooling hit..
Obviously turn back down to 5 or 4 when you stop the motor.

BTW...I include the 2nd battery for the last 10 mins.

Yes I have a battery monitor..

CHEERS
SPIRIT OF TOMMY - down under in Perth....WESTERN AUSTRALIA AUSSIE..

hull 1150