[C320-list] Bottom Job

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Wed Feb 16 07:35:06 PST 2011

Tim-On what body of water do you keep your boat, what kind of bottom paint
do you use (hard, ablative or something else and brand) and a best estimate
of how many layers of build up would be helpful to you in deciding on a
whether you need a bottom job or just selective sanding and antifouling
application.  In my yard a full bottom job means taking of the existing
antifouling paint, sanding and patching if needed anywhere, applying a
barrier coat and then applying antifouling paint.  If you change brand or
types of antifouling paint you may need a complete bottom job which can be a
lot of work, expense and annoyance to those around your boat if not done in
a proper way.

Here in southern Lake Michigan, all new sailboats out of my Catalina dealer
here are christened with Interlux VC 17m Extra after a primer coat of
barrier paint if needed.  Almost all the sailboats in my yard use the same
stuff or a similar hard paint.  Some of the fairly old boats which are
saddled with ablative or other really soft antifouling paints stick with
that type.  To change to a hard paint would be a lot of work and expense.
VC 17m Extra is a fresh water, hard, racing paint with Teflon. That is what
I use even though I don't race very much.  I have used this stuff since it
came out over its predecessor VC 17 which was the initial antifouling when
the boat was christened with very good results.  It is pricey at
US$45-55/quart.  There is an offshore version.  I will be in my 10th season
on my 2002 C320 and the only thing it has seen is 17m Extra (with VC 17
before Extra was available) and no paint build up and still as smooth as a
baby's behind.

I basically checked what others in my area were using, what the dealer
recommended and did a little independent research before going with the flow
on using this stuff.

There are certainly other good antifouling paints available and used for the
local conditions.  Knowing what other racers and cruisers use in your area
is a good start on choosing an antifouling paint.  Then the decision is the
extent of work needed for the paint chosen.

Bob Sloat
Savannah #894