[C320-list] Bottom Job

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 16 13:43:16 PST 2011

I second Johnm's point. After we bought # 63 in 2004, we removed most of the
old paint and had the yard do the waterline (there the paint is super hard,)
and sand the whole bottom. Then, I applied a "signal" coat of black and a
top coat of blue ablative paint. I use the WM CPP about $90 on sale in the
spring.
After that, I painted the whole bottom for a couple of years.  Then, it
occurred to me that I wasn't ever seeing the signal coat, so why repaint the
whole thing.  Now, I just repaint where it appears to be getting thin, the
usual areas are the bow fwd of the keel, leading edges of the keel and
rudder.
Each year when hauled and power washed, there are a number of places where
the paint just flakes off down to the barrier coat.  I simply chip away to a
hard edge, sand to feather edges, wash with 202, reapply the black signal
coat, and top coat with blue.  I also noticed that the previous year repairs
are holding firm.  Why continue to pile on more paint if the old is still
there.
As to the flaking areas, I contacted Catalina who told me that in '93-'94
they were using a two part barrier coat but couldn't be sure on any specific
boat.  The manufacturer sold that product line years ago.  So, this year, I
may use a Pettit primer coat on the barrier coat.
Otherwise, I keep telling myself that it's just a boat, we don't race, and
I'd rather be sailing than sanding.

Warren Updike