[C320-list] Engine/Shaft Noise and Vibration

Dennis Harris dharris02 at suddenlink.net
Sat Feb 19 08:40:29 PST 2011

Just curious if other C320 owners experience this.  I get a low level
noise/vibration at certain speeds, and always have the fear that, despite
what the mechanic said, the shaft may be striking the hull, but the
frequency doesn't seem right.  The boat is a 2000 model (#694) with Yanmar
3GM30F engine and transmission with 2.21 reduction.  The sound is a little
like a very low level "whump, whump, whump".  The frequency increases with
engine speed, but at higher speeds, the noise is largely overridden by
engine noise and vibration does seem to increase significantly, so it may be
noise more than vibration.  The cutless bearing is snug and there is no
movement in the shaft.  However, in last year's haul out, on the forward
edge of shaft strut, a small crack had come in hull fairing material.  The
three remaining sides around the strut were solid and there was no leaking
into the boat.  The four strut bolts were tight.  In previous haul outs,
this area was fine, and the noise/vibration that I have mentioned has always
been present through out the 10+ years that I've owned the boat.  There have
been no issues (abnormal, frequent wear) at the packing gland. At ~2200 rpm,
the intermittent sound occurs roughly 100 times/minute.  With the 2.21
transmission reduction, this means that the sound occurs at a frequency of
once per 10 shaft rotations, so in my mind, I have attributed the
sound/vibration to be a harmonic of the combined system (hull, engine,
shaft, etc.) and suspect that it's something not to worry about.
But....what if?

Do others experience this?  Is it a problem that needs to be addressed, and
if so, how?

Thanks,

Dennis Harris
C320 #694, Washington, NC