[C320-list] Leaking portholes fix?

Jon Vez jonvez at comcast.net
Sun Feb 27 09:03:34 PST 2011

Bill,

One word of warning--when you tighten the screws on the frame, be *very*
careful not to strip the holes--the aluminum is quite soft. Mine were loose
and I started with this step, but alas was not my leaking problem.

Yes you can get the 3M caulk from WM, however I found that the 3 stores in
my area only carried the white, so I had to order. I ended up ordering from
Defender. If I don't need something yesterday, I tend to order from them.
Unfortunately it only comes in the 10 oz cartridge, which is way more than
you will need.

Here's what I did--

1. I used an exacto knife to cut out all of the grey caulk on both sides of
the frame. If you go to a home depot or crafts type store you can find an
angled exacto with handle that makes this job much easier than a standard
razor. This was very straightforward and not hard to do. You will find that
the grey caulk has hardened to almost a plastic consistency, so once you get
a start you can pull most of it out with your hands.

2. I cleaned up any remnants of the old caulk with a dental pick and then
swabbed the area with denatured alcohol to clean up the surfaces for good
adhesion

3. Using blue painters tape, carefully tape around the edges of the
horizontal gaps. I also taped the back of the open seam (the opening on the
inside of the boat) to prevent the caulk from oozing inside.

4. I bought several small syringes from West Marine--these are typically
used for working with resins and epoxies. I squirted the 3M 4200 from the
cartridge into the syringes. I then used the syringe to fill the gaps. I
overfilled them and then used a putty knife to press in and smooth the caulk
on the outside. Remove the tape before the caulk sets and you are done.

I 2 complete rebeds on the ports until I realized I could get away with this
much easier approach. The above took about an hour for the remaining ports
start to finish. The complete rebed took about a week due the difficulty I
had removing the old silicone completely from the ports. If you do rebed the
ports I highly recommend the Bomar hatch tape!

Hopefully this isn't too confusing, but if you have any questions, feel free
to contact me offline...Good luck

Jon