[C320-list] Water Pump Leak, Fuel Leak Questions

Dennis Harris dharris02 at suddenlink.net
Mon Jan 17 07:18:32 PST 2011

Water Pump Leak,

Yesterday I decided to run the engine a bit to charge the batteries.  After running about thirty minutes, I went below to close the thruhull and saw water coming from under the front engine cover.  Source is the cooling water pump.  Hoses are tight.  I couldn’t tell exactly where it is coming from, however.  We have had a long spell of cold weather (in/for eastern NC) and I keep a heater in the cabin that comes on at 38 degrees.  We occasionally loose power and the power company did a 4 hour shutdown last week, so I’m not sure whether the pump froze.  The leak is relatively slow, so I suspect that shaft seal at front or the gasket at the back of the pump has failed.  It is my understanding that several pumps may have been used on the engines (3GM30F, Hull 694).  How do I determine which pump I have?  Have others had similar failure and what did you do to fix it (new pump, complete rebuild kit, or just gaskets and impeller)?

Fuel Oil Leak,

At the same time that I was checking the water leak, I noticed that the pan under the engine had some fuel oil in it.  Again, I haven’t been able to spot the exact source, but it is coming from around the engine fuel filter.  The filter seems intact but the lines above it are wet with fuel.  Have others had a similar problem and where is likely source and what is the recommended repair?

On both of these, I was limited in the time that I could spend investigating the problem sources and will go back to boat at first opportunity to try to zero in a bit better, but I would be interested in your thoughts to aid in the process.

Thanks,

Dennis Harris C320 #694